[Mailman-Users] How does MM 2.1.1 catch bounces? -- too many "Uncaught.."

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 12 16:12:25 CET 2003

    John> Martin,
    John> Have you read through these messages?
yes, (of course)!

    John> Some of the ones I get include "out of office"
    John> messages or other auto-generated messages that aren't
    John> really "bounce" messages.  I.e., they don't indicate a
    John> problem delivering the mail.

    John> My theory is that when I have time I will try and filter out the most
    John> common ones with procmail or the like.

    John> But you certainly don't want someone's account
    John> disabled because of some of these messages.

agreed.
But here I give an example of one where I think mailman should
have figured it out:

  From: MAILER-DAEMON at guppy.vub.ac.be (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
  To: <r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch>
  Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
  Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:58:45 +0100 (MET)

  The original message was received at Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:58:44 +0100 (MET)
  from hypatia.ethz.ch [129.132.58.23]

  <mathie.roelants at vub.ac.be>

  ... while talking to akasolvr.vub.ac.be.:
  <<< 553 <mathie.roelants at vub.ac.be>... User mathie.roelants unknown at vub.ac.be
  550 <mathie.roelants at vub.ac.be>... User unknown

     ----- Message header follows -----