[Mailman-Users] let me clarify

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Wed Mar 12 18:40:51 CET 2003

Jon said:
>Interesting, because I remember using UID and GID's that were in the 1000+
>range for the chroot (but that was six months ago so I could just be
>hallucinating)

      Sorry, I did not quote enough to get context.  The issue here is not
the GID's but the permissions on directories that run CGI.  As far as I can
tell Ensim will not run CGI if the directory or script has permissions over
755.  This conflicts with what mailman wants.  Will changing the
permissions on the mailman cgi-bin to 755 kill mail man?

>  - su as the local chrooted user that runs the webserver (generally the
>admin of the chroot)
>  - run the admin cgi from the command line:  ~mailman/cgi-gin/admin
>
>This should dump out the source of a web-page to the command line (like when
>you look at a web-page and click on "View Source".  It's a simple check.  If
>that works then your Mailman install is working fine and the problems must
>be in the Chroot web-server setup.

      Ah, another problem.  'Mailman expected the CGI wrapper script to be
executed as group "apache", but
the system's web server executed the CGI script as group "admin". '  That I
can fix by rerunning configure .... I think!

      That plain Red Hat box is looking cheaper and cheaper!

Don't mess with me, I know how to change my laser printer from stun to kill!
<>< Paul