[Mailman-Users] Newbe Headaches

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Mar 12 19:02:47 CET 2003

Jon:

You've seen the flurry of these over the past couple of weeks.  I firmly
believe that the problem lies with some mod to smrsh in the latest
versions of Sendmail.  I had previously been running 2.0.13 with
Sendmail 8.12.3 without a problem...after upgrading to 8.12.7 I got the
same message as below; same thing with 8.12.8.  The only way to get
around this is to disable smrsh in sendmail.mc -> sendmail.cf.  This is
bothersome, as smrsh does have some (albeit minor?) security value.  I'd
like to see a fix for this soon.  Perhaps we should alert the Sendmail
developers.

-- Bob --

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Well, you could disable the Smrsh control from within Sendmail - or - you
> could look up on your system where Smrsh's link directory should be located.
> You may have to create the directory and then create your links to the
> Mailman executables.
>
> Good Luck - Jon Carnes
>
> BTW: there are some recent expositions about Smrsh in the Archives that
> contain more info about Smrsh and its default settings.

> >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > smrsh: "mailman" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
> > 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

http://www.malibyte.net

"The waiting is the hardest part." - T. Petty