[Mailman-Users] RH rpm install is lazy

Steve Garcia slist at adzac.com
Thu Mar 13 22:41:24 CET 2003

Installing mailman for first time...decided to use redhat's latest rpm
(2.0.13-1).  I know it's not the latest, but I've usually found their
rpm's a good way to get started with a new to me package.  fwiw, system is
7.3.

The rpm installed without errors, but RedHat provides no decent
installation instructions that I could find.  This is ALL rh says to do:
·Run /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass to set the mailman administrator password.
·Edit /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to configure Mailman for your site.
·Add "Include conf/httpd-mailman.conf" to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

So I downloaded and untarred the latest mailman source to look at its
readme's.  I've found that the rpm install hasn't done very much (eg -
check_perms found all the permissions wrong).

Does anyone have a pointer to a complete set of instructions for
configuring mailman after using the redhat rpm?  I'm willing to start from
mailman source if need be, but I'd like to at least try with the current
install.  At this point I'm only checking out mailman to see whether my
users could handle it.  :-)

Steve