[Mailman-Users] Mailman Content Filtering Vs. PRE-Mailman Filtering

Jeremy Butler jbutler at ua.edu
Sat Mar 15 18:44:47 CET 2003

I'm trying to figure out the BEST way to do content filtering with
Mailman:  (1) through Mailman's own content filtering or (2) through a
dedicated filter (e.g., Procmail Email Sanitizer) that processes mail
BEFORE Mailman sees it.

In Mailman's favor is the convenience of having the filter built-in and, I
presume, a more efficient use of resources.

But in favor of Sanitizer (or another filter) is greater flexibility in the
processing of attached files.  One can quarantine/defang/scan for viruses
in misbehaving file attachments.

I've read in the Mailman FAQ about how to filter incoming mail before it
hits Mailman (using Procmail), but my question is a more philosophical one:

SHOULD one pre-filter email before it gets to Mailman?

And if one should instead rely on Mailman for filtering, could someone
provide samples of what they've used for

filter_mime_types
pass_mime_types

Thanks!

P.S.  I'm using Mailman 2.2.1 with Postfix on a RedHat 8 system.

Jeremy Butler
jbutler at ua.edu