[Mailman-Users] About SMTPDirect

Elena Fraboschi elena at inca.math.indiana.edu
Sat Mar 15 20:54:49 CET 2003

After having experimented with zillions of possibilities,
I went to google with this "query"

"SMTPDirect" does not work

and, much to my surprise, found three pages of messages
on that subject.  From SMTPDirect.py, I copy these lines...

# We have to play tricks so that the list object
# isn't locked while delivery occurs synchronously.
# MTA not responding, or other socket problems, or any other kind of
# SMTPException.  In that case, nothing got delivered

Well, I simply state this for the benefit of mailman developers who
might be here.  The tricks played do not suffice, in some cases.

My MTA is well set.  Postfix is delivering listserv out of the
box.  No problem there.

I have checked the python library (2.2 version), and I see that
I have all that SMTPDirect is calling for.

Still, after checking everything that I was told to check (perms,
etcetera), SMTPDirect does not work.  It does exactly what
one of the commented-out lines says:  "MTA not responding,
or other socket problems, or anyj other kind of SMTPException."
All gets queued, nothing gets delivered.

I believe the problem (and the fix) is far from transparent.
I'll await eagerly the release of a future version of mailman
where this problem (three pages of msgs in google about it...)
might have been fixed.  Many thanks, best, elena