[Mailman-Users] creating lists from web interface

Kyle Banerjee kyle.banerjee at state.or.us
Tue Mar 18 23:53:12 CET 2003

>Others will answer more fully, but did you do everything in the
>README.POSTFIX file?  There is a section titled INTEGRATING POSTFIX AND
>MAILMAN that is very important.

         I deserve a dope slap for not checking this section out more
carefully. It was very helpful, but it didn't get me out of the woods.  Now
I get the error:

Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "nobody",
     but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "mailman".
     Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "nobody", or
re-run
     configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.

         The funny thing is that I thought our mail server was already
running the script as nobody so I'm not quite sure what I should do..

         I tried changing the group ownership of the mail/mailman script to
nobody to make it run under the expected GID, but this simply hosed
everything. Configuring mailman with-mail-gid=mailman resulted in the same
problems that you get when you specify the wrong gid with that parameter.

         I feel like I'm missing something obvious and stupid, but I just
can't see what it is.

kyle

>Thanks.
>
>Kyle Banerjee wrote:
>>         We just installed version 2.1.1 and I can't figure out how to
>> make the web interface for creating new lists fully functional. The list
>> gets created just fine, but the aliases are not. As a result, any
>> message sent to the list (or the -owner, -request, etc addresses) gets a
>> "User unknown in local recipient" error.
>>         Our postfix installation does not have an alias map to any files
>> in the mailman hierarchy, but I also didn't notice any files in the
>> mailman hierarchy that I could map to
>>         We can create lists from the command line just fine, but we'd
>> like to make the web interface work so that we can allow people to
>> create lists without giving shell access at the same time or writing
>> some kludge script to modify aliases and run newaliases. What do I need
>> to do to make this happen? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>kyle
>>
>>***********************************************
>>Kyle Banerjee
>>Oregon State Library