[Mailman-Users] NEW Problems with customising welcome messages etc.

Nigel Cass N.Cass at Hull.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 11:17:50 CET 2003

Hello all.

My apologies for raising a subject that does seem to have been done to death
a little on the list (from my look through the archives) but I am
encountering some problems with customising welcome messages for lists at my
site.

We're using mailman 2.1 and have tested copying subscribeack.txt from
$prefix/templates/en to $prefix/lists/<problemlist>/en - this works as
expected in that the welcome message is changed to the one that we have put
in place.

HOWEVER if the list administrator has put some text into the box in the
general options (welcome_msg) to be prepended to the welcome message it
never gets prepended.

I am doing the tests by subscribing users from the mass subscription page
but I presume this should have absolutely no bearing on the result. If on
this page we add some text to the second box (prepend the
subscriptions/invites) this appears before the custom welcome message.

This is a real problem for us as most our list admins want their own welcome
text and want to be able to change it through the web interface. So the best
solution for us is to override subscribeack.txt on a per list basis with an
empty (or practically empty) file and let the admins have full control over
the message by editing the prepend text.

Any ideas ?

Nigel Cass.