[Mailman-Users] multipe domains

Steven Bonisteel steveb at webpaving.com
Wed Mar 19 16:51:08 CET 2003

At 03:52 PM 3/19/2003 +0100, ne at slums.de wrote:

>Anyway I want to have someting like:
>all at test.de and another list
>all at notest.de !!!!
>Maybe anyone can give me a hint where to search !

There are many posts in the archives
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/> providing
examples of VIRTUAL_HOSTS in "mm_cfg.py" for manually specifying
virtual mail and Web hosts (if different).

One example that works for us:

##########
VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'lists.test.de':'test.de',
                  'lists.notest.de':'notest.de'}
VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = 1
##########

If you mirror that Web host info (the second argument on each line)
in your HTTPD config, then going to:

   http://test.de/mailman/create

or

   http://notest.de/mailman/create

... could begin new lists on separate virtual domains (assuming you
set up Web-server CGI alias that way.)

Finally, you will have to configure your SMTP server to process mail
for those virtual domains.

In our case - using Sendmail - we use the usual "aliases" file
approach to send mailman posts to the Mailman handler for each *list
name*:

# test list aliases
test:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"

... and we happen to use a "local-host-names" file to have Sendmail
see itself as the various "Virual_Host" domains.

There are other configurations.

HOWEVER .. Mailman's Virtual_Hosts doesn't allow you to have lists
such as

  all at test.de AND  all at notest.de  right out of the box.

The list names must be unique. You'd need some approach external to
mailman to remap list names if you want to do that, I'd guess.

Regards,
SRB

--
Steve Bonisteel