[Mailman-Users] Interesting Mailman-Postfix Churning: User unknown in local recipient table

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Mar 21 22:49:14 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 21:16, Jeremy Butler wrote:
> I encountered an interesting case of, I think, Mailman-provoked Postfix
> churning this afternoon.  For several hours, Postfix and Mailman kept going
> in circles (see below).   Fortunately, when I restarted Postfix, the
> churning stopped.

This is a known bug, fixed in cvs.  The problem only occurs when
attempting to deliver to an unknown user on the machine running Mailman.
At issue is the error code returned by Postfix in this case -- it
indicates a temporary error, not a permanent error, so Mailman keeps
trying to re-deliver the message.  Another fix in cvs is to have Mailman
backoff retries of temp failures for some period of time.

This fix will be in Mailman 2.1.2 (no ETA, but soon).
-Barry