[Mailman-Users] Name or service not known

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Mar 22 16:39:12 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 17:04, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> I'm still pulling out my hair on this one, and a hairless woman is not
> a pretty thing.

Oh, I don't know about that...

http://go.sciflicks.com/artists/p/persis_khambatta_star_trek_the_motion_picture.jpg

:)

> I figured out that the SMTPDirect thing was going straight out a port
> rather than piping to exim.  This is a standalone machine for
> development and testing.

This is true.  SMTPDirect sends messages over port 25 via the smtplib
module.  Still, if you're running your Exim as a daemon, it should be
possible to configure it to accept only localhost port 25 connections.
That's what I'd recommend anyway.

> So, in my mm_cfg.py I put:
>
> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail'
>
> but it didn't fix it.

Are you sure SENDMAIL_CMD points to the right executable?

> How can I get it to use sendmail (linked to exim) instead of the
> SMTPDirect module?

They way you're doing it is the only way, and it ought to work, but you
should be aware of the security issues.  This delivery module goes
through the shell so you have quoting issues and the like to worry
about.

There have been some ideas to fix this.  What I'd like to see is
Sendmail.py fixed to not use the shell, and for smtplib.py to be able to
talk SMTP over stdin/stdout.  But I have no time to work on these
things.

-Barry