[Mailman-Users] installation problem

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 16:25:59 CET 2003

At 14:30 24/03/2003, Mike wrote:
>Hi all, i'm fairly new to using unix servers so this may seem quite
>newbiesish to you, however every time i try to install mailman i get the
>error below.   I created the user it said i should reate as well as the
>directory.  I set the installation directory to allow the user i want to
>install from, however i still get the error.  If anyone could help i would
>highly appriciate it.  thanks.
>
>[mike at Lazarus mailman-2.0.13]$ ./configure
>checking for --with-python... no
>checking for python... /usr/bin/python
>checking Python interpreter... /usr/bin/python
>checking Python version... 2.2.1
>checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
>checking for true... /bin/true
>checking for --without-gcc... no
>checking for gcc... no
>checking for cc... no
>configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

The problem is that the installation process cannot find a C language
compiler which will be subsequently needed to run the make install.

If you have a C compiler installed then it may be that it cannot be found
unless you add the path to it to the PATH environment variable of the user
you are funning configure as.

Or it may be you need to install the C compiler.

If you need more help then you should identify the type and version of
Unix-like OS you are running when posting the request for that help.