[Mailman-Users] Changes to archive pages

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu May 1 16:37:24 CEST 2003

Further to my earier post (below) my patch is also broken. I'm fixing it 
now and will repost when I tested it properly. Sorry for any inconvenience

At 04:16 01/05/2003, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>Richard Barrett  wrote:
>>>Paul H Byerly wrote:
>>>      That did it, thank you so much.  Apparently there is no way to do 
>>> a per list change, but I think I can make it work with relative 
>>> URLs.  Now I just have to hack the cookies.
>>I believe you can have list-specific templates by putting them in the 
>>directory  $prefix/lists/<listname>/<language>/
>>The same issue applies regarding running mailmanctl restart after 
>>creating/changing templates in such directories.
>      That is my understanding, but it does not seem to work for this 
> file.  I copied it there and made changes earlier, but when I ran the 
> restart it was the changes in the template file, not the changes in the 
> local file that I saw.  It's in the same location as 'listinfo.html' and 
> 'options.html' so I'm sure I got it right.
>      Since the archives are stored in a separate place than the lists I 
> also tried putting the file in 
> $prefix/archives/private/<listname>/<language>/ but that did not work 
> either (even after a restart).  Any other ideas on where to put it?
><>< Paul


In the light of your experience I took a more comprehensive look at the 
source code and tried using the alternative template locations on my MM 
test system; I do not actually use this feature on my MM production system.

The code that actually gets templates from the file system uses a caching 
scheme for the contents of template files, presumably for performance reasons.

In my view, the caching scheme is broken because the key to the cache only 
uses the name of the template file and the language. Thus, once a file for 
a given langauge has been cached, regardless of which of the sources it was 
obtained from, it is that template that is used from the cache by all 
lists, regardless of the existence of a template in a preferred source in 
the file system for any given list.

I have produced a patch file to fix the problem which you can obtain from 
sourceforge at the following URL:


If you would like to try the patch and let me know if, with it, MM finally 
produces the results you expected.



More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list