[Mailman-Users] Changes to archive pages
R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu May 1 17:09:39 CEST 2003
apologies for the false start. Hopefully, following some more thorough,
which I should have done originally, I've uploaded version 2 of the patch
which I hope does fix this problem.
Same sourceforge URL as below.
I said before:
Further to my earier post (below) my patch is also broken. I'm fixing it
now and will repost when I tested it properly. Sorry for any inconvenience
At 04:16 01/05/2003, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>Richard Barrett wrote:
>>>Paul H Byerly wrote:
>>> That did it, thank you so much. Apparently there is no way to do
>>> a per list change, but I think I can make it work with relative
>>> URLs. Now I just have to hack the cookies.
>>I believe you can have list-specific templates by putting them in the
>>The same issue applies regarding running mailmanctl restart after
>>creating/changing templates in such directories.
> That is my understanding, but it does not seem to work for this
> file. I copied it there and made changes earlier, but when I ran the
> restart it was the changes in the template file, not the changes in the
> local file that I saw. It's in the same location as 'listinfo.html' and
> 'options.html' so I'm sure I got it right.
> Since the archives are stored in a separate place than the lists I
> also tried putting the file in
> $prefix/archives/private/<listname>/<language>/ but that did not work
> either (even after a restart). Any other ideas on where to put it?
In the light of your experience I took a more comprehensive look at the
source code and tried using the alternative template locations on my MM
test system; I do not actually use this feature on my MM production system.
The code that actually gets templates from the file system uses a caching
scheme for the contents of template files, presumably for performance reasons.
In my view, the caching scheme is broken because the key to the cache only
uses the name of the template file and the language. Thus, once a file for
a given langauge has been cached, regardless of which of the sources it was
obtained from, it is that template that is used from the cache by all
lists, regardless of the existence of a template in a preferred source in
the file system for any given list.
I have produced a patch file to fix the problem which you can obtain from
sourceforge at the following URL:
If you would like to try the patch and let me know if, with it, MM finally
produces the results you expected.
More information about the Mailman-Users