[Mailman-Users] Changes to archive pages

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Thu May 1 20:06:33 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett, who's children I bless to seven generations, wrote:
>In the light of your experience I took a more comprehensive look at the
>source code and tried using the alternative template locations on my MM
>test system; I do not actually use this feature on my MM production system.
>
>The code that actually gets templates from the file system uses a caching
>scheme for the contents of template files, presumably for performance reasons.
>
>In my view, the caching scheme is broken because the key to the cache only
>uses the name of the template file and the language. Thus, once a file for
>a given langauge has been cached, regardless of which of the sources it
>was obtained from, it is that template that is used from the cache by all
>lists, regardless of the existence of a template in a preferred source in
>the file system for any given list.

      I think that is what the note at the top of the HyperArch.py file was
about.

>I have produced a patch file to fix the problem which you can obtain from
>sourceforge at the following URL:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=730769&group_id=103&atid=100103
>
>If you would like to try the patch and let me know if, with it, MM finally
>produces the results you expected.

      I applied the second version of the patch, and that did it.  Putting
the file archive.html in $prefix/lists/<listname>/<language>/ results in
the changes on all new archived posts for <listname>.  Also, changes to the
file are picked up WITHOUT a mailmanctl restart, as is the case with other
template changes.

      Many many thanks.

<>< Paul