[Mailman-Users] Bug in MM2.1.2 Install

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Fri May 2 01:58:14 CEST 2003

At 23:45 01/05/2003, Dave Weiner wrote:
>I'm trying to install MM2.1.2 and I want to install the binaries in some
>other directory besides /usr/local/mailman
>
>I've used the --with-prefix=/path/to/dir and --with-exec-prefix=/path/to/dir
>options for ./configure, but no mater what I do, it still installs into
>/usr/local/mailman.  I even went as far as editing the Makefile after
>running ./configure and changing the prefix to where I wanted it, and 'make
>install' still installs the binaries to /usr/local/mailman
>
>Before I go and edit the Makefile in each of the subdirs, is this a bug in
>the ./configure script, and will it be fixed soon?
>

>Dave

It is cold comfort but it should work.

I cannot explain why you are having this problem but I install MM from
source distribution using --prefix=/mailman/run and
--exec-prefix=/usr/local/mailman as options for ./configure without having
any problems on Linux (Suse 7.3 distribution).

Does the output of the first 10 or so lines of the file
$build/config.status confirm the --prefix and --exec-prefix options on the
./configure are what you put on the command line?

What does the $build/Makefile have to say on the matter of values for
prefix and exec-prefix.

What version of what OS are you using and what dose /bin/sh resolve to?

Have you tried recreating $build/configure by running the command 'autoconf
configure.in' in the build directory, and then running the configure file
that is generated?

I've run out of guesses.

Best of luck.