[Mailman-Users] Permission Denied

Ye|land lxxvi at customcpu.com
Fri May 2 16:29:47 CEST 2003

I installed Mailman 2.1.1 earlier yesterday and have since then been
trying to get it to work.

Everytime I try accessing the webaddress, I get "Mailman CGI error!!!
The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being
stored in your syslog: Permission denied"

My httpd.conf file has both user and group set to nobody, so I redid the
install using 99 (the group id for nobody) for the --with-cgi-gid=
option. No change.

the actual file permissions for the cgi-bin dir under mailman is
rwx,rws,r-x with own/grp being root,mailman

The changes needed in the httpd.conf file were conveniently already
entered, just commented out so all I had to do was uncomment the 2 lines
and change the directory they had (usr/shared/mailman) to what I needed
(usr/local/mailman).

As for checking syslog, I can't seem to find any one syslog file.
syslog.conf seems to be set up to output to individual files (messages,
secure, maillog, spooler, and boot.log, all under /var/log/). None of
them seem to mention the error I'm getting from mailman.

Any help very much appreciated. I'm using Trustix Secure Linux (TSL)
which looks like it is based off of Red Hat, just stripped down to a
smaller securer setup by default (no GUIs, etc, to act as large security
holes).

Many thanks