[Mailman-Users] Configuring Virtual Domains

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri May 9 17:38:22 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 03:33, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I share a server with some folks. Someone setup mailman and created a
> list for their domain (say foo-list at jim.com). Now I tried to setup a
> list for my domain (say bar-list at mike.com) by adding all the necesary
> aliasis and ran the newlist script but it sent me a confirmation for
> bar-list at jim.com. How do I specify bar-list at mike.com using the
> same installation of Mailman 2.0.13? If I edit mm_cfg.py will that
> mess up foo-list at jim.com?

You need to edit two of the fields near the bottom of the General
Options tab in the web-admin.  Change those domains to use "mike.com".
That will will help.

> Also, how do I delete bar-list at jim.com?

You don't need to do that, the changes above will simply change how the
list treats itself (it will now use mike.com).

Note: if you are using Sendmail as the MTA then the outbound mail will
all be tagged as coming from whatever the host is currently named.  You
can force naming to be one way or the other, but the only way to force
outbound mail to use a different domain name is to use the Generics
tables.

> Finally, is there any document or howto that describes this well?

The archives cover this very thoroughly and many times.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes