[Mailman-Users] Umbrella/Parent Lists

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri May 9 19:01:03 CEST 2003

At 16:16 09/05/2003, Greg Harris wrote:

>Thanks for the replies.  It looks as though reg ex is not considered the
>best way to access memberships yet.  However, since a database is used
>for list memberships, it would seem to be the best long-term solution,
>if it can be developed.  I also wonder if I made it clear that I was
>trying to add all members of a child list and not specific members from
>a child list.  Each child list would be set up in such a way that they
>all had write access to the parent list or all of them could only read
>from the parent list, (an announcement list).  Does this change anyone's
>thinking, or are scripts still the best way to go?

Not mine, because the way standard Mailman code works, the 'umbrella' list
does not "look down" into the membership list of a subordinate list, nor
can a regex associated with the  the 'umbrella' list readily do so.
Essentailly, the subordinate list's email address is nothing special  just
that of another subscriber.