[Mailman-Users] Mandrake 9.1 / ImportError - addendum

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 13 19:19:03 CEST 2003

At 17:38 13/05/2003, Oliver Egginger wrote:
>I wrote:
>
> > Hello Richard, hello all,
> >
> > You wrote:
> > > The only difference between execution of the python instance running
> > > mailmanctl and the execl'd python instance is the -S option on the
> latter

This comment of mine was nonsense.

> > I would like to agree but here is what I (among other things) did.
> >

>The significant difference between
>
><     os.execl(exe, exe, rswitch, '-s')
>  and
> >     os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>
>is, that in the former case the python interpreter don't get called
>explicitly.
>In the original line the interpreter gets called explicit from os.execl.
>
>Seemingly the resulting processes lives in different enviroments.
>Depending on the wise how the programm gets invoked.
>(At least on my system.)

Yes. That is why my first thought was there were 2 different Python
installations on the machine with the first being picked up through your
$PATH and the other through mm_cfg.PYTHON. But you say this is not the case.

My second thought was hasty and wrong.

With execl the executed program should find itself with the same
environment as the program that launched it and running with the same
process ID which is why this is so odd. Now if it were execle then a change
in environment would be explicable but that isn't it.

Back to which OS and which Python version.