[Mailman-Users] Problem with HTML -> Plain Text Conversion.

Seth Kneller seth at autismisanotherworld.com
Thu May 15 04:24:08 CEST 2003

Hi,

This is rather a strange one. I run a list which uses Mailman 2.1.2 and
Exim as the MTA. Exiscan is also in use to scan for viri and SPAM using
Sophie and SA respectively.

I have a problem with one subscriber who is using hotmail [yeah I know,
but there will always be lusers out there!]. Anyway, she has sent 2
posts so far and each post contains one line:

1st:
/root/botjYb: Permission denied
2nd:
/root/P80Z34: Permission denied

I double checked the emails against the logs, I got one match for each
email in the error log, which is as follows:

1st:
May 09 21:09:01 2003 (20888) HTML->text/plain error: 256
2nd:
May 13 16:45:55 2003 (20888) HTML->text/plain error: 256

All my MM permission check out and I am really stumped as to what is
going on here. At first I though it was some kind or SPAM or hack
attempt, but I have spoken to the lady off list and she is genuine. Also
her emails to me are HTMLified, so I assume she is sending HTML emails
by default. I will advise her to chenge to plain text, but I would
really like to be able to say "don't worry about what format you send it
in - attachments and HTML will be stripped off when it gets to the list"

My content filtering is set as follows:

filter_content = true
filter_mime_types=<null>
pass_mime_types=text/html,text/plain,multipart/alternative
convert_html_to_plaintext=true
filter_action=reject

Does anyone have any ideas about this - I am more than willing to
provide more info if nessecary.

Thanks,

--
Seth