[Mailman-Users] Steve's rant (WAS: Aliases ...)

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Mon May 19 04:07:37 CEST 2003

Steve Burling wrote:
>1) Learn something more about how mail works before trying to install
>    and run mailing list software.
>2) Read all the documentation that came with the Mailman distribution.
>3) Read the archives of the mailing list.
>4) See the Mailman FAQ at <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>.
>5) When asking questions on a free, volunteer's list, don't assume that
>    people will spend all their time reading the list, waiting eagerly for
>    the chance to answer your questions. .....
>Above all, remember that the people on this list who try to help you are
>doing so out of the goodness of their hearts.  They don't get paid for it.
>They don't even get much recognition.

      On the other hand, if you make a real effort to do what you can and
find the answer on your own, the good folks on this list are awesome about
helping out.  I came here as a total newbie to Linux, and I'm far from an
expert now.  I've found that if I do enough learning to ask a relatively
intelligent question, I can pretty much count on someone offering to point
me in the right direction.  Sometimes it's nothing more than the right
direction, but if I can't figure it out from there I'm in over my head and
need to learn more.
      In short it's rare for fish to be given away here, but fishing
lessons are regularly provided for those who make an effort to at least
find out what a fish is.

<>< Paul, who thinks at least half the questions asked here are answered in
the FAQ.