[Mailman-Users] bin/mailmanctl start

Vince LaMonica vjl at soceco.uci.edu
Thu May 29 00:26:20 CEST 2003

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 09:05  AM, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Try installing every rpm from your distribution that has "python" in
> it.  For Mandrake 9.1 I posted a message last month that pointed to all
> the rpm's that needed to be loaded. Mdk 9.0 probably has similar
> requirements.

FWIW, I had the same problem [mdk 9.1, mailman 2.1.2]. I was not able
to get mailmanctl to run using the RPMs listed in that e.mail. I have
python installed via RPM, and that is/was my problem. I did not remove
the python [2.2.2] RPM, since it would break other stuff, however, i
simply compiled python from source, installing it into /usr/local/bin,
and then made sure that when I compiled Mailman, I pointed it to the
non-RPM install of python 2.2.2. I also changed my mm_cfg.py to make
sure it uses the /usr/local/bin version of python.

Also note, I was on Mandrake 8.2, with Mailman 2.1.1 [source compile].
When I upgraded to 9.1, I decided to also upgrade to 2.1.2 of mailman.
After the initial problem, I removed all traces of mailman 2.1.2 and
tried installing 2.1.1 on my 9.1 box, and it failed for the same reason.

Compiling python from source was quite simple, as the only thing one
needs to make sure of is that it will be built in a /usr/local/*
directory structure so that it doesn't break any applications in
Mandrake 9.1 that need the python RPM install.

HTH,

/vjl/