[Mailman-Users] mailman & AOL's "Client TOS notification"

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Tue Nov 4 17:15:54 CET 2003

RK> My ISP has been forwarding me a batch of complaints from AOL users,
RK> which apparantly are complaints about receiving spam. I guess it's

What kind of quantities are you talking here?

>From my experience, AOL's alarms don't really go off until you reach
something like 200+ such notices per day, which is easy to do with a
large list.

RK> coming dumb AOL users who have no idea that they subscribed to the
RK> discussions at their own request so that they should take care of it
RK> themself if they want to unsubscribe.

AOL knows that people use it as an "unsubscribe" button.  We've asked
everyone we could think of there that they should really add an
"unsubscribe" button for those sites with whom they have their third
party agreement (ie, those that get these notices), but apparently
they don't think that is a good idea.

RK> Are there any other mailmain admins here who also get alot of complaints
RK> through AOL? Any tips on what I can do about it before my server and
RK> possibly ISP gets blacklisted?

You can always call up AOL and tell them that your lists are all
confirmed opt-in, and see what they say....

RK> I can't even figure out the recipient of most of the messages since the
RK> mailinglist doesn't include the "To:" address (and I don't plan on

Turn on VERP for each message delivery.  Don't expect AOL to change
the way they notify you to make it any easier.