[Mailman-Users] mailman & AOL's "Client TOS notification"

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Nov 4 17:37:23 CET 2003

anyone on any of my lists who files a spam complaint against my mail
list gets unsubscribed. when they resubscribe and complain about being
dropped, they get The Lecture and The Warning. If they send a second
round of spam complaints, they get unsubscribed and banned.

Funny, AOL users learn quickly once it's in their best interest to use
the software right. Well, except for one or two. Now, I'm not happy I
have to spend my time teaching AOL users how to use their software
properly because it's badly designed and AOL doesn't teach then,
but....

I had an extreme case of this last week. A user filed about five spam
complaints with AOL against one of my lists. I unsubscribed her. She
resubscribed immediately without sending any email at all. So I sent
her the Lecture and the Warning via email. that bounced because of her
address book sendings. So she got unsubscribed again to get her notice,
and I SMTP blocked her with a 500 message telling her to contact me via
another address.

Her response: attempt to subscribe again. The confirmation, of course,
was rejected by my server, and that rejection, of course, bounced
because of her spam blocking settings. And so we sit. One might think,
if stuff like this were happening, to actually e-mail the ADMIN asking
what the hell's going on -- but no?

And frankly, that's not MY problem. Not any more. Not after all these
AOL users doing stupid things because AOL writes software to encourage
it...

chuq (but I'm not bitter!)