[Mailman-Users] mailman & AOL's "Client TOS notification"

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Nov 4 17:41:30 CET 2003

don't bother. I've had that discussion. The folks who deal with the TOS
messages are trained at the "if the user says it's spam, it must be
spam, so what are you going to do about it?" level. they don't want
justice, they want quiet.

(and I can sympathize at some level, but what a way to run an airline).

On the other hand, one of the sites hosted on my machine had installed
a copy of formmail.pl that turned out to be insecure (what version
isn't?) and after sitting there doing nothing for (literally) 18
months, a spammer found it. And within hours of them turning on the
spigot, I was getting TOS warnings, and within five minutes of the
first TOS warning, I had that CGI disabled and cleaned up. I'd much
rather have to deal with the occasional AOL user who did something
without thinking than, well, the alternatives.