[Mailman-Users] Re: mailman & AOL's "Client TOS notification"

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Tue Nov 4 19:50:58 CET 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:33:57PM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> Ricardo Kustner <mailman at rixhq.nu> writes:
>
> > So my current situation is that my ISP is risking to get blacklisted and
> > I can't do anything about it except for shutting down the lists or
> > remove & block all AOL users :(

> Yes, they are at risk.  You had better find a way to unsubscribe those
> folk.  VERP is a good start.

Realistically, though, the threshold is generally pretty high -- it
takes a good amount of mail marked as spam before AOL will block you
(although there is some evidence to suggest that once a certain number
of identical messages have been marked as spam, AOL will silently make
the rest "disappear").

I get stuff of this sort about our discussion lists via our AOL
"feedback loop" all the time. Generally, I just ignore it. AOL
subscribers mark *all* kinds of stuff as spam, so I take complaints
from the feedback loop with a much larger grain of salt than an actual
complaint sent to the abuse box.

Just explain to your ISP that the subscribers added themselves via a
closed loop verification process (assuming they did) and that whatever
AOL subscriber is marking the messages as spam has s**t for brains.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."