[Mailman-Users] Permission Denied / Content Filtering

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 17:27:51 CET 2003

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 04:00  pm, Timothy Brooks wrote:

> I've had a very hard time with my lists ever since my provider
> upgraded to 2.1.2.  The most recent problem is that messages sent via
> Hotmail (and some other Web-based mail programs) come through like
> this:
>
> /root/HJBt9Y: Permission denied

I will take a SWAG that you are operating through cPanel.

A while back I set up an account with a hosting service precisely to
explore how MM operates under such an installed environment. Today, I
have found exactly the problem you describe for post containing
text/html parts although it wasn't occurring the last time I looked a
few weeks back. Also the archiving has stopped working for the list
emitting such broken messages.

Conclusion is that the cPanel folks, who are the ones integrating their
modified version of Mailman Open Software into their charged-for
commercial cPanel package, have fouled something up. Looks like some
sort of permission problems maybe. Looking at the Mailman source
distribution I cannot see where the '/root/stuff' insertions are coming
from and I suspect it is not from code in the vanilla MM source but
from cPanel modified Mailman code which I cannot find a way to get hold
of GPL license notwithstanding.

Best bet is to persuade your ISP to take cPanel to task - well they are
charging him for the product - and try posting to cPanel's support list
for all the good it will do.