[Mailman-Users] Attachments

Roger Espiritu espiritu at cacities.org
Thu Nov 6 18:52:36 CET 2003

Hi Richard:

I noticed that you were working on pdf issues/attachments etc... I was
wondering if you can help me in regards to attachments in the archive

On my content filtering settings, these are my current settings:
filter content on "no"
nothing on "filter mime types" 
pass mime types:
convert html to plaintext: "no"
filter action: "preserve"

How do I have all attachments be accepted by the ListServ. I noticed
that sometimes in the archive sections, excel files or word docs cannot
be displayed and sometimes some messages with attachments can be viewed.
Is there something that I need to set to have ALL attachments be

I appreciate your help but if someone does know the solution to
this...please help?!!


-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Barrett [mailto:r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 8:02 AM
To: tech-mail at prupref.com
Cc: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Attachments - PDF Issue


On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 03:25  pm, McKeever Chris wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:03 , Richard Barrett <r.barrett at ftel.co.uk>
>> On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 12:58  am, McKeever Chris wrote:
>>> I am trying to figure out how to resolve PDF's being converted into
>>> .obj extensions in the archive (they get sent to list subscribers
>>> still in .pdf
>>> form).
>>> I have tried sending from multiple clients (yahoo, our webmail, and
>>> Outlook Express) and I keep getting this issue.
>>> Ultimately, I would like the .obj to just be .PDF so end-users do
>>> get the 'open with' dialog box.
>>> Here is a sample archived message:
>>> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>>> Name: x-4.pdf
>>> Type: application/octet-stream
>> You problem is the MIME type the MUA attaching the PDF file is
>> in the Content-type. It appears to be saying it is
>> application/octet-stream rather than application/pdf
>> It is questionable practice to rely on the file suffix to ascribe
>> content type and Mailman does not appear to so do, which is why a
>> originally called xxx.pdf becomes yyy.obj
>> If the Content-type is corrected I think you will find Mailman 
>> extracts
>> the attachments into .pdf suffixed filenames.
>>> Size: 55233 bytes
>>> Desc: not available
>>> Url :
>>> http://list.domain.com/pipermail/filefax/attachments/20031104/
>>> ea6ccb1e/x-4-0001.obj
> I understand that it is questionable, but there isnt _anything_ I can 
> do on the MUA side, and seeing that it isnt a public list/archive
> that really only gets .pdf files (sent via a fax server) I dont think 
> it is all that dangerous.
> I need to figure out how to have the code rely on the extension over 
> the content type.  If anyone has knowledge of modifying the
> Scrubber.py (I think that is where it is) to allow this, please let me

> know

Attached is a crude little patch that may solve your problem. You can 
apply the patch from  within either the MM build directory and rerun 
./configure and make install, or to the $prefix directory, using the 
following command:

     patch -p1 < path-to-patchfile

Particularly if you decide to apply the patch to the MM $prefix 
directory then do first take a backup of 
$prefix/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py in case the patched code doesn't 
work and you need to revert.

You will need to restart mailmanctl after applying the patch.

Let me know how you get on.


More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list