[Mailman-Users] AOL and spam reports

M Ondercin moochie at ondercin.com
Sat Nov 8 23:28:27 CET 2003

At 10:25 PM 11/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>      If you really have to deal with this, then send a final notice that
> all AOL users will be set to nomail and must set themselves back if they
> want to be on the list.  Include directions for resetting from
> Nomail.  Send the message, generate a digest, then change all the AOL folks.
>      It's that or unsub the lot of them.

Thanks,

         But since that wasn't a viable option, I waited until I recieved
the next set of 554 bounces and called AOL's Postmaster number
1-888-212-5537, since we'd never gotten any info back from the email
addresses on http://postmaster.info.aol.com/ or been able to find the error
on those pages.

The error is: (reason: 554 TRANSACTION FAILED 554 AOL will not accept
delivery of this message)

         The 554 error is a new one, they don't even have much info on it
in their help resources.  They ran our site through their test procedures
and verified that we weren't blacklisted, and that we weren't an open relay
and etc.  The current fix that they are offering is to whitelist your site
(take all the contact info and such), so they can work with you on the
problem directly when it comes up.

         The tech I talked to couldn't find a reason why the messages were
being bounced.  Especially since there is no pattern to the bouncing as far
as mime/no mime, attachment/no attachment  VERP/no VERP.  It's been
completely random.

         Since I haven't been able to find anything specific on this in the
FAQ's or Archives, I thought I'd share what little we've been able to find
out on this problem.

         M Ondercin.

-----

M. Ondercin