[Mailman-Users] Easy Install Instructions for Mailman and (exim, postfix or sendmail)

Mike Gifford mike at openconcept.ca
Thu Nov 27 04:06:08 CET 2003

Todd <Freedom_Lover at pobox.com> wrote:
> Mike Gifford wrote:
> > RH 8.0 - upgraded with apt-get
> > mailman-2.1.1-4
> > sendmail-8.12.8-9.90
> > postfix-1.1.12-1
> [...]
> > Tweaking only works if you know what to touch..
> True, but I know I've seen that info in either the Red Hat release
> notes or somewhere else reasonably handy.  I haven't run a machine
> with Sendmail for years, I switched to Postfix after just a few looks
> at the Sendmail configs.

Yeah..  I've strugled with exim & never tried sendmail..

> > Any pointers?
> > 	/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> Yeah, looking at the redhat rpm of sendmail from 7.3, that file
> contains this:
>     dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1
>     dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
>     dnl to accept email over the network.
>     DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

Looks like this would comment it out:

dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Restarted it and wow..  It worked!  Thanks!

> > How do I activate postfix so that this is run..
> Red Hat uses the alternatives system for this.  There is an app,
> redhat-switchmail which will do this for you.  You can also just
> uninstall sendmail and then postfix will become the default MTA if
> it's installed.

I could find it in the gui..  Just had lost the text version...

> To get postfix to accept connections from other than localhost, you
> need to comment out this line in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>     inet_interfaces = localhost

I've switched that to all, if I need to try to switch to postfix..  For
right now I'll try to get mailman running with sendmail.

Appreciate your help todd.

Mike
--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting