[Mailman-Users] ban_list example?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 21:32:25 CEST 2003

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 07:51  pm, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>>> Try
>>>
>>> ^.*@xyz.com
>
>     Scott> Not knowing anything about mailman's use of these values:
>
>     Scott> The "^.*something" regex is equivalent to just "something".
>
>     Scott> "^.*" is useless, confusing and should never be used in a
> regex
>     Scott> for the regex libraries with which I am familiar.
>
> I realized it was superfluous shortly after posting.  I was focusing
> on the
> missing '.' (really, just about anything) in the OP's post.  "@xyz.com"
> should be sufficient, unless Mailman uses re.match() for this
> particular

The ban_list check uses regex and re.search iff the first char is ^ BUT
the ^ is not removed so regex matching is always effectively anchored
at the start of the string because it is always a single line.

So you have to match for the local-part before matching for the domain
even if .* is acceptable.

Without the leading ^ the ban_list comparison done is a simple string
equality test with no wildcards or such; that's what regular
expressions are for.