[Mailman-Users] 68,000+ member list problems, part 2

jp_mailman at gcfl.net jp_mailman at gcfl.net
Fri Oct 17 20:32:07 CEST 2003

I'm running Mailman 2.1.2.

After I sent the message I realized that indeed I might
have a stale lock problem.  So I looked in
/var/lock/mailman and there was about 1000 stale lock files.

Until I can find a better solution, I wrote this small
bash script to manually remove stale lock files, and I
plan to run it from cron every minute.

So far it seems to be helping the problem.  Maybe it will
help others out there...

----- checklocks script ----
#!/bin/sh

HOST=`hostname`

cd /var/lock/mailman

for x in `ls *.lock.$HOST.*`; do
  PROCID=`echo $x | awk -F "." '{print $6}'`
  if [ ! -d /proc/$PROCID ]; then
    echo "deleting $x for $PROCID"
    rm -fv $x
  else
    echo "$x is a good lock for $PROCID"
  fi
done

for x in `ls *.lock`; do
  if [ ! -f `cat $x` ]; then
    echo "$x is NOT valid"
    rm -fv $x
  else
    echo "$x is valid"
  fi
done

--
My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she
was 60. She's 97 now & we don't know where she is!

www.GCFL.net (The Good, Clean Funnies List): Good, clean
funnies five times a week, no ads, for f_r_e_e!