[Mailman-Users] Problem with posts requiring administrator approval

Jim McNelly jim at composter.com
Tue Oct 28 21:55:22 CET 2003

Greetings,

I manage a five year old, 700 member, fully moderated discussion list and
appreciate Mailman's user friendliness for myself and our subscribers over
Listserve and Majordomo lists I have managed in the past.

I have a problem, however with the Administrative Requests Page.  Posts to
the list in moderated mode are all listed as held for approval because they
are "Posts to moderated list".  In open discussion mode, I was provided
with detailed reasons for messages being held for approval.

Specifically, posts that were previously filtered by the Mailman version
2.0.8 software such as "administrative trivia, too large, and not a
subscriber" are now all lumped together with the regular member's posts in
the catch-all "posts to moderated list" reason for being held for
approval.  Without more detail, I find myself approving messages from
individuals that are not list subscribers and approving messages that are
too large, have attachments, viruses etc.  Catching the unsubscribe and out
of office messages is easy enough, but the other two types of unwanted
messages are a problem.

Is there a way to keep these detailed filters working in "moderator
approval mode" like they work in "no-moderator" settings?  Shouldn't these
list parameter filters work and alert me with a message like "not a
subscriber" or "message too large" before I, the moderator, see these
messages under the generic catch-all "post to moderated list" and have to
figure out on my own whether the message is too large or the sender is a
subscriber.

A related problem occurs because I can't scroll down on the message excerpt
content past the first fifty lines or so to get to the main body of the
message, which is also a nuisance.  I would like to be able to view the
entire message or at least tell if it has an attachment or not, which the
size filter should catch.  In the message header box, it often lists
whether or not there is an attachment, but it is often buried in a bunch of
message history garbage.  Our problem is that we do not want large messages
and people are often inserting large pictures or off topic HTML
advertisements into the content of the message, bypassing the attachment
properties of mail sending, which is again a problem for our list.  If I am
going to approve the content of the message, I should be able to view the
entire message.

There was nothing I found in the archives that addressed these issues.

In summary, here are the key points.

1. In moderator mode, mailman does not pre-filter messages from
non-subscribers to the list
2.  In moderator mode, mailman does not pre-filter oversize messages
3.  In moderator mode, mailman does not pre-filter administrative trivia
messages
4. Unwanted message attachments (could be solved by size filter working)
are hard to spot in the message header (could use an "attachment alert")
5. The message excerpt box in both moderated and un-moderated modes
displays only 50 lines, not the entire message which could warn of oversize
images or off topic content inserted into the hidden portion of the message

Thanks for anyone's assistance

Jim McNelly
US Composting Council
Discussion List Moderator