[Mailman-Users] Archive Dating Problem - real hassle

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Sep 4 16:15:45 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the archives to show the correct dates in
mailman version 2.1.2 (running on Red Hat Linux 7.3).

I have some lists that I copied to my current server from a previous
mail host (which was running 2.0.x, but that should be irrelevant).  I
copied the archives and concatonated the mbox files of the new and old
archives.  I made sure to include a blank line between messages in the
mbox files, as suggested in the FAQ, and the mbox file appears correct
when viewed with mailx (the "mail" comamnd in Linux) and pine.

However, when I regenerate the archives from the mbox file, by removing
the old archive directory and running mailman/bin/arch , many of the
messages are dated incorrectly.  Some of the messages archive fine, but
others are given the _current_ date and time, instead of the date on the
message.  This is very annoying as it means I have a huge number of
messages in August 2003 which do not belong there, and the original
date/time information is lost!   When I look at the messages in question
in the mbox file, they appear to be properly formatted with correct
Date: and "From " headers.

In previous versions of mailman, there was a configuration flag on whether
to follow the date/time of the message Date: header, or the one from the
mbox format "From " line.  However, I can't seem to find this option in
mailman 2.1.2.  Why was this removed?  Andrew Klaassen asked the same
thing at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-August/030818.html
with no response.  Can someone please explain?

Thanks for any ideas!

Jeremy Portzer
jeremyp at pobox.com / jeremy at trilug.org