[Mailman-Users] Problem with display of member names with non-English characters

Abigail Marshall abigail at webfavor.com
Fri Sep 5 23:03:14 CEST 2003

OK, here's the problem.

Running MM 2.1.2. - about 2 months ago I used a hack
provided by John DeCarlo to this list to modify
HTMLFormatter.py to show user names along with emails on the
member roster.

What has happened is that this gets broken when individuals
have names which include extended or non-standard ASCII
characters (such as accented letters or non-English
characters). [International list; lots of Europeans with
Scandinavian, Dutch or German names]

When a a user goes to the view roster
mode:

/mailman/roster/listname

There is this error message:

> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.2

> We're sorry, we hit a bug!

> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please
> email a copy of this page to the webmaster for this site
> with a description of what happened. Thanks!

>Traceback:

>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in
> run_main main()

> File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/roster.py", line 106,
> in main replacements = mlist.GetAllReplacements(lang)

> File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py", line
> 417, in GetAllReplacements d.update({"": self.FormatUsers(0, lang),

> File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/HTMLFormatter.py", line
> 95, in FormatUsers gotname = str(self.getMemberName(person))

> UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

---------

I've temporarily fixed this by anglicizing the names.  But
of course new users are going to come along, and old ones
will decide to correct the spellings.  So my question is:

1. Can I fix this for the future?

2. How?

The function referred to  [self.getMemberName(person)] is
the one that was added by the patch.

-Abigail Marshall