[Mailman-Users] how I install

Terry Cowan hemi at itexas.net
Sun Sep 14 17:05:41 CEST 2003

At 08:42 AM 9/14/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I just checked the mailman package when I put Mandrake Linux on my
>system.  You can, on a mandrake box, just do:
>Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495
>Austin Network Design
>http://www.austinnetworkdesign.com

Daniel,

I see you are a fellow Texan. I used to own the Graham Dorian Auction
Company (computer liquidations) in Dallas. It's nice to see a fellow Texan
here.

I currently have a bunch of groups on Yahoo that I hope to convert to
Mailman and like Arvinda, I don't have a clue where to begin. I also
understand that I will need an external archiver to handle the archving I
want to do.

I want my archived messages first by major topics? for example -- there
will be a biker group. I would want the archive of all the messages broken
down first my topics similar to the ones below.  In other words -- if you
click on Chassis Design-- every single post from day one on the topic of
Chassis design will fall here -- and then can be sorted by subject line,
date. or author.

Such as:

Chassis design

Chassis fabrication

Engine building

Wiring

Painting

Tires

Regulations

Hot Biker Chicks

All of my lists are how-to related and no one wants to dig back through
100,000 posts by the date looking for subjects. I realize you can do a
search for a particular subject -- but it would be a lot cleaner if we
could do it this way.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to do the archiving?

I would also like for the archives to look more like an online forum --
something like this:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php

How difficult is it to get mailman into a form like vbulletin? Or am I just
asking for too much?

And BTW, are there any antique car or antique aircraft guys out there who
would want to help set up related groups?

Thanks,

Terry Cowan
http://www.metalshapers.org/