[Mailman-Users] Variations of email addresses

Mike Kercher mike at CamaroSS.net
Thu Sep 18 22:58:59 CEST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman-users-bounces+mike=camaross.net at python.org
[mailto:mailman-users-bounces+mike=camaross.net at python.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Wilts
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 3:06 PM
To: Rob Day
Cc: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Variations of email addresses

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 02:22:13PM -0500, Rob Day wrote:
> Hi,
> My organization just made the switch from Majordomo to Mailman. I am
> most pleased with Mailman to say the least. I am, however, having one
> problem. A user will subscribe to the list with the address
> "some.name at example.com," but their address will actually be
> "sname at example.com." Mail sent to the expanded address (some.name)
> will be received, but the person will be unable to post to the list
> because the message comes from "sname at example.com." Does that make
> sense?

No, this doesn't make sense.  How are the users subscribing to the list? Via
e-mail or web?  It sounds to me like the user's MUA is misconfigured
- either your e-mail address is sname at example.com or it's
some.name at example.com.  You can't have it both ways - mailman should
correctly treat those as separate people since there is absolutely no way
for it to know the difference.

If you're subscribed with some.name, then post from some.name.  If you want
to allow posting from other e-mail addresses, then configure mailman so that
non-list members are allowed to post.  If you restrict posting to list
members, then the client must be configured to post from some.name.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  some.name at example.com is an alias.  SuSE
OpenExchange creates such aliases by default for users.  The simple way
around this (for the admin) is to explicitly allow sname at example.com to post
to the list.  This way, you don't open the whole list up to spammers.  You
could also unsub some.user@ and then subscribe sname@  Hopefully, it would
be a rare occasion that you'd have to do this.

Mike