[Mailman-Users] Initial Configuration

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 19 03:18:05 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 21:14, Hostmaster wrote:
> I have apparently successfully installed Mailman on a Red Hat 9.x server but now am faced with initial configuration questions.
>
> I was able to set the password using /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass but am not sure what I am suppose to edit in /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py for my site, or the significance of the /var/mailman/bin/upd update.
>
> Can I get a heads up on what needs to be configured to make this work?
>
> Thanx a heap!

Put the following in your /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:
  MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
  MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

Also you will need to put in your hosts real domain name (for me that is
list.anncons.org):
  #DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
  #DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
  DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

Since you are using Red Hat 9, use the chkconfig utility (or you could
use the Services gui that comes in the System Settings/Server Settings
menu).

chkconfig --list mailman
mailman         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

chkconfig --level 345 mailman on
# this will turn the mailman daemon on automatically when the server is
booted.

Hope this helps - Jon Carnes