[Mailman-Users] No mail going out to lists members

Frank L. Parks fparks at ezbizpartner.com
Fri Sep 19 15:02:11 CEST 2003

Jon,

Thank you for the reply.  I just realized by going through this exercise
that I didn't have the aliases for test at ezbizpartner.com to test and this
was why it was coming straight to me (I'm the garbage collector).  Bad
Frank.  In other words read #2 below for aliases for Sendmail
(http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp)
virtual domains.

I put in the above alias pair and now things are going wrong, but at least
I'm getting some messages.

Mail log:

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail

wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but

the system's mail server executed the mail script as

group "daemon".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the

script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,

providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.

554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

OK. No major problem (I hope).

Ran the configure with the above option

Went to /usr/local/ and changed mailman to the daemon group id (see install
instructions for those of you who may wondering where that came from) - also
see check_param up next.

Did the make install

cd /usr/local/mailman/bin

./check_param -f (per install instructions)

Oops 1574 errors

./check_param -f (per install instructions)

No problems found

Reran the test to test at ezbizpartner.com and surprise, surprise it worked.

Showing me the detail and the additional debugging techniques helped me out
tremendously.  I really appreciate it.  Once I was able to get error
message, I could track down the rest.  You stare at the problem too long and
your brain freezes (or at least turns to the consistency of slush in my
case).

Thanks,

Frank

BTW, I appreciate the compliment about the detail in the problem ticket.  I
hate people not giving me enough information and then expect me to divine an
answer (amateurs).  I stated that I followed the faq page and I should give
out the results of exactly what I did.  Unfortunately, I missed the part
about checking Sendmail for virtual domains (trying to work against a
deadline isn't be an excuse just a fact).  Again thanks.  My problem was
that I was seeing the forwarding to me (I'm also on the list) and I thought
it was doing the forwarding and it was doing default routing.  Now I have to
go and setup all of the other missing aliases.