[Mailman-Users] Mailman & CPanel?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 20:20:16 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 12:39, Paul H Byerly wrote:
> Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > >  Am I correct in assuming that the problem is with the CPanel
> > > interface with Mailman
> >
> >No. All we really know is that Cpanel isn't working on one specific
> >ISP. Whether that's CPanel's fault or the ISP's fault, or smoe other
> >factor, we don't know, and we shouldn't assume. All we do know is that
> >the Mailman crew isn't involved with CPanel, so once CPanel takes
> >Mailman builds a tool to support it, we're out of the loop and can't
> >really help.
>
>       Okay, let me try again.  I've installed Mailman on Ensim, a
> propitiatory chrooted environment similar to CPanel.  I had to basically
> avoid Ensim and figure out the nonstandard way they did certain
> things.  Can I do the same thing with CPanel?  Has anyone else done it that
> way?
>
>       That asked, I'm leaning more and more to getting a plain RedHat box
> and doing my Mailman lists from that.  It's probably the wise way to go.
>

> <>< Paul

Unlike the Ensim system - where you control Mailman using mailman
controls - CPanel expects you to interact with Mailman (and all other
running services/apps) via the CPanel controls.  You could by-pass that,
but then you loose some integration which is important to CPanel.  An
example of that is that you have aliases and Mail CGI's that CPanel
applications and system processes are not aware of - and my accidentally
overwrite or deny access to.

The selling point for CPanel is it's simplified (and distributed)
management of multiple domains on a single box. It's quite a good
package, but isn't developed as rapidly as some other projects that
mirror it's functionality. Also, it has problems rev-ing applications
and services - even in the face of known vulnerabilities.

My preference is to use OpenBSD or RH9 and then use other OpenSource
tools to manage various domains on a single server.  Of course, I'm also
a command line junkie.

Jon Carnes