[Mailman-Users] Feature request..

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Sep 30 17:07:33 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:25:13PM +0200, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Would it be to much to ask for a language specific request?
>
> Both I and my users think a function to post different messages to different
> users depending of their language choice would be great!
>
> F.x. I run a news/info list that both English and Swedish users are hooked
> up to, if I write an English-only mail, that should go out to users who
> chose English only, and the same for Swedish, and then some feature to make
> messages go to both (all) if it's a multi-language message.

I see this as impossible.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no
definitive way to tell which language a message is written in.  There is
a large overlap between words in different languages, and I expect this
problem to grow over time.

I'd suggest that you run one list for your English users and one for
your Swedish users.  The sign up instructions shouild be clear which one
the users should use.  If you sent the confirmation instructions via an
e-mail in Swedish, I would expect your English users to not reply to
that e-mail.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org