[Mailman-Users] mailman on cobalt

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 30 20:17:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:30, Pieter Smelt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm no linux expert myself, but I've got some questions.
>
> I'm looking for a mailinglistmanager which can manage mailinglist for up to
> 100.000 addresses.

Mailman has not problems with that - assuming you have some RAM to give
it to use.

> Furthermore it's gotta run on a Cobalt machine running Linux.

I've installed Mailman on a cobalt, so I know it can be done.  Did you
also want multi-domain support?  That's harder, but definitely do-able.

> I also am looking for info about installation times,

When I install on an ordinary system it takes 4 - 6 hours, multiply that
by 6 for a cobalt running chrooted apps and having to setup mailman to
run in multiple domains inside the chrooted systems.

>  system impact,

The biggest impact to the system will be RAM for really large lists
(100k shouldn't be too bad).  Also, archiving the email lists will eat
up some time and resources as the cobalts have IDE drives (at least the
ones I've done did).

> use of
> LDAP services,

The MTA can definitely use LDAP, but there is no direct link between
Mailman and LDAP

> integration with existing databases.

There is no direct integration with external databases at this time.  It
is a great feature that will be coming soon - especially if Barry can
get any help in implementing it.

Most folks setup external scripts/apps that act as gateways to move the
data between a Mailman database and an external database.  Mailman has
some very nice tools to help setup this external integration.

> Hope to hear from anyone soon,
>
> With kind regards,

Good Luck - Jon Carnes