[Mailman-Users] Spoofing Issue

Doug Straight dstraigh at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 14:55:41 CEST 2004

Hello,
My name is Doug and I am handling tech support for a customer who uses
Mailman for an email newsletter distribution to customers on a monthly
basis.

They have about 8,000 names on the list presently.

We had an event on Saturday where all 8,000 members got an infected email
from the list.  It looked just like the newsletter we sent out in most cases
but some members wrote back telling us they had the "Find the White Rabbit"
message, and were told by Norton that they had a Beagle variant M infected
email from us.

My web hosting contact tells me that this is a case of someone "spoofing" as
our administrator and using our email (only the mailing list was effected)
and sending out a message to the whole list.  I was wondering if you thought
that was possible.

Also, I do see where the White Rabbit is one of the things that Beagle does,
but I have not found where it would send out a copy of our email newsletter
like that.

I'd love to hear your ideas on this as it is quite a concern.

Thanks!

Doug Straight

(558) 752-4072