[Mailman-Users] SMTPDirect

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Thu Apr 8 17:57:33 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:34:44PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2004, at 11:56, John Poltorak wrote:
>

> > Is there any documentation of how SMTPDirect is supposed to work?
>
> I am not being sarcastic when I suggest reading the code in
> $prefix/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py
>
> SMTPDirect depends on the standard Python module smtplib and, bearing
> in mind your earlier post about an SMTP problem (Subject: Outbound mail
> getting stuck), you could take a look at the Python documentation of
> it, particularly the worked example of smtplib use that is here:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/SMTP-example.html

Thanks, that's a useful example to try.

> You could explore connecting to that SMTP server using the smtplib
> example while running Python from the command line and see if that
> generates a refusal. If that works OK then SMTPDirect is usually good
> to go.

I could also TELNET to port 25 on 127.0.0.1 to confirm there is an SMTP
server accepting connections...

> > And can anyone suggest how I trace what is happening when it is
> > invoked?
> >

> Personally, I tend to hack in a few calls to syslog to the code that
> output information that may enlighten me as to what is going on, e.g.
>
> 	syslog('error', 'my diagnosic info, value was: %s',
> somevariableoranother)
>
> Making sure that his import has been done somewhere above in the source:
>
> 	from Mailman.Logging.Syslog import syslog

I'll give that a try.

BTW I'm not a Python programmer but I have been looking at a book to pick
up some tips, but there isn't any indication of how I can put in something
like a pause and press a key to continue. How would I do that?

I think my problem is more than likely related to a misconfigured DNS
server.

--
John