[Mailman-Users] external archiver

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Fri Apr 9 13:44:49 CEST 2004

On 09/04/2004 To Mailman-Users wrote:
> sorry, i absolutely have no idea what I did wrong, and I CCed this
> message to -developers since there seems to be no documented common
> usage of the EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER options.
> Maybe the message isn't passed to the shell command on stdin because
> other delivery method is expected, but i don't believe that.

is there any documented common way of using the *_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER
options?
Apart from the fact that the value has to be a shell command, I was not
able to get any information about their usage.
Does mailman give the message on stdin to the shell command, or is this
command intended to use the mbox mailman also archives to or how should
the external archiver get the message?

> Additional, what exactly does this ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX option do?
> Defaults.py tells me:
> # 1 - archive to mbox to use an external archiving mechanism only
> [...]
> does this mean that mailman archives to an mbox file?
> if yes, where can i find this mbox file?

seems like this option defines whether mailman archives only to
pipermail or mbox, both or none of these. The mbox file is stored at
$ARCHIVE_PATH/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox, is this correct?

bye
 jonas