[Mailman-Users] Mailman not respecting settings in mm_cfg.py

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 09:00:40 CEST 2004

On 12 Apr 2004, at 06:55, Scott Courtney wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've just cut over my email server to a new installation of Exim,
> which is
> running on one IP address while the old Sendmail installation runs on
> another
> IP address (same physical host).
>
> Normal mail works fine, but I need for Mailman to send its outbound
> mails
> exclusively through the new server.
>
> I changed the SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT settings in mm_cfg.py, deleted the
> .pyc
> file (which is then recreated on the next qrunner run), and still I
> observe
> that Mailman insists on using the old server. The setting for
> DELIVERY_MODULE
> is "SMTPDirect" in both Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py.
>
> Is there something else I need to do when updating mm_cfg.py, to get
> the
> changes to be effective? The fact that the mm_cfg.pyc file is being
> updated (and "strings mm_cfg.pyc" shows the correct values inside)
> suggests that the right directories are being accessed.

In MM 2.1.4 the qrunners are daemons, not cron jobs. Try using
$prefix/bin/mailmanctl restart to restart the qrunners.

btw, you do not need to delete the .pyc as Python determines the need
to recompile the .py from the modification date on the file

> All the web-based interfaces and archives work correctly.

It is probably running these that has led to mm_cfg.py to be
recompiled, confusing you into thinking that the qrunners are using the
new version when they are not. They are probably using the older
version they loaded when they were started.