[Mailman-Users] Mailman with Sun ONE/iPlanet Messenger

Andrew Tait antait at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 14:31:52 CEST 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:47:45 +0300, Huseyin OZYURT
<hozyurt at hacettepe.edu.tr> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have install mailman on iplanet server 5.2;I have made everything at
> this
> page
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-October/023438.html
> but do not running. When I send a message to test mail list I have a
> error.
> This error is
>             550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:
> test-owner at hacettepe.edu.tr

It looks like a simple aliasing problem.  You'll need to find your aliases
file for your distro (mine is /etc/aliases), and add something like:
test-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
...to it.
When you created the list it should have given you this list of aliases to
insert.  There is one alias for each virtual email address used by
mailman: test-request; test-subscribe etc.  I can post my aliases stub
here if you want.

Then rebuild the aliases db with something like:
newaliases

Obviously the specifics depend on which versions of sendmail and mailman
you are running, and in which folder you have installed it.

Andrew