[Mailman-Users] postfix+mailman, part 2

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Apr 20 00:55:55 CEST 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:04:27 +0530 (IST)
Yogesh Subhash Talekar wrote:

> hi,
>
> As the erros says you should have configured the mailman
> '--with-mail-gid=nogroup' option.
>
> So go to your extracted tar-ball directory, so "su - mailman" and as a
> user "mailman" say:
> $ ./configure --prefix=/var/lib/mailman --with-var-prefix=/var/mailman
> --with-cgi-gid=nogroup --with-mail-gid=nogroup
> $ make
> $ make install
>
> This should work.
>
> May be you installed mailman when logged in as root!
>
> --yogesh

Greetings All,

Searching the web, I learned that postfix uses the group id of the owner
of file /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db when it runs mailman.  So the
fix was to change that file's permissions to:

 -rw-r-----    1 mailman  mailman     12288 Apr 18 23:49 aliases.db
Thanks to all of you who responded to my query.  Your support is
appreciated.

David