[Mailman-Users] Soooooo sloooooow

John Price jp_mailman at gcfl.net
Wed Aug 4 19:42:06 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 07:05:02PM +0400, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > I have a list that has about 60K members, and all
> > interaction with mailman is very slow when there is no
> > load on the machine, and SUPER slow when there is load.
>
> 	I recommend going to the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>, search for "performance",
> and read the various entries which are returned.  You may want to pay
> special attention to the entries at
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.041.htp>,
> and consider the performance advantages of upgrading to version 2.1.5.

Most of the FAQs are related to mail deliverly.  This list
only sends one email a day, so that's not an issue.  Also,
all archiving is turned off, so that's not an issue either.

Spliting up the mailing list into multiple lists with an
unbrella sounds like a lot of work.  What happens when
someone wants to suubscribe or unsubscribe?  Is mailman
smart enough to know what sublist they are on and handle
it?  When someone gets added, how does Mailman know what
sublist to use, or do I have to try to re-balance the
sublists every once in a while?

> > Does the program read in the entire mailing list everytime
> > it output a web page?
>
> 	It loads the Python pickles, yes.

Ah, the pickles...  I'm sure this is the problem.

I'm no Python guru, but isn't there a way to keep from
reading in the entire jar (of pickles) unless you actually
need to? Maybe I need to ask the developers list instead
of this one...

--
When a man marries a woman, they become one but the
trouble starts when they try to decide which one.

http://GCFL.net (The Good, Clean Funnies List): Good, clean
funnies five times a week, no ads, for free!